I started with the fighting system, but first I went shopping with my test character.
NPC’s can buy and sell items.
Tests are now much easier since my test chars can buy every needed item. A function to fill their bags with gold I have.
- Each NPC has a separate list of items to sell or buy. Each item can have a separate price level.
- A NPC buys an item for a fraction of the price he sold before.
- The prices of the items depend on the quality and durability of the item. A perfect item costs 10 times more than the same item of average quality.
- How often a NPC offers a character the best price depends on an ability. The current state lasts always 5:15 h.
- Filled bags and lit torches cannot be sold.
I find the idea captivating to create an NPC that sells the best weapons and armor in perfect quality, only at 20 times the normal prize. That would mean that a perfect sword that costs 10 gold at medium quality could be bought here for 2000 gold. This is an incentive for every craftsman to produce something like that and sell it cheaper.
I started the standard fighting system. It took me almost a week to understand the uMMORPG fighting and skill system and find a way to adapt it in a way that spells, magic and special attacks can be added later.
Long story short: The standard fighting is the use of mace, sword or dagger against enemies with dodge, parry and different armor.
I have to take into consideration:
- Skill and learned skill level related to action and item (8+).
- Attributes related to skill. I combined 4 attributes (strength, dexterity, agility, perception) in different relations to a pseudo attribute.
- Weapon mastery. There is a serious disadvantage using equipment above your skill. And a master can get a little bit more out of a noob weapon too.
- Skill difference in between attacker and defender.
- Luck. I found a way to create weapons which are good for a character with bad luck and other weapons which give lucky character an advantage.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors principle: Leather armor protects well against blunt weapons but is poor against stabbing while a mace damages the wearer of plate armor much more. There are many more dependencies.
- Dodge depends on the carried weight.
- A character can parry with weapon or shield. Parrying a heavy blow will stun the defender.
- A little bit randomization.
- Simplified calculation for monsters who cannot swap weapons or armor.
The fighting system contains a lot of minor extensions for other elements:
- Background pictures in the equipment panel show what to equip
- Current equipped weapon shown in the shortcut panel
- Replace the lightshow gallery on the WEB page by a working one. The former was not supported by the supplier anymore.
- Remove ‘remember last target’ when out of range once.
- Don’t display tooltip when element behind UI.
- Moving a bag around cannot confuse the content anymore.
What Comes Next?
Completion of the fighting system:
- Testing / Bug fixing
- Tools to manage parameter of large amount of weapon and armor
- First balancing